Chapel Saint Denis
As we see it today, the chapel was built in the XI th century on the remains of a Gallo-Roman villa, which had been occupied from the Ist to the IV th century.
The first religious building on this site was built in the VIII th century but this was razed to the ground by the invading Saracens.
It was built in the XI th century. It is well worth noting the semi-circular apse on the Bagnols side of the chapel, as well as the tiny window which lighted the altar and still exists today. Saint Denis Chapel has been classified by the national “Historical Monuments” Register and is decorated with frescoes which date back to the XV th century.
A mass is given here every year on Saint Denis’ day in October.
Please contact the Tourist Office in order to visit the interior of the Chapel. You may also wish to join in a free guided visit held during the ‘Journées du Patrimoine” (National Heritage days) in September.
Chapel Notre Dame de la Pitié
Archaeological excavations carried out in 1982 have proved that the Chapel, situated on the plain of Bagnols-en-Forêt (Route de Draguignan D47) was constructed on the remains of a Gallo Roman farm which had been built at the beginning of the Ist century A.D. Pottery shards of this period, as well as a ceramic seal “The Gladiator” dated AD 49, have been discovered near the chapel. They are now on display in the exhibition of the Roman remains on the first floor of the Tourist Office.
Archives teach us that the Chapel was built in 1560, but give no indication of the history of this site prior to that date. Ever since 1729, a religious procession is held every year on August 15th, the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
Chapel Sainte Anne
It was a Spaniard : Jean Vigneron, who built this chapel in 1654, in order to thank the king Louis XIVth who had granted him letters which gave him French nationality. He dedicated the chapel to Saint-Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary to whom he was very devoted. He also paid for the altar and the ornaments, together with the vessels used in worship.
Originally, the chapel situated at the top of the village measured 6 meters long and was prolonged by a porch open on all three sides ; like the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows which is on the Le Muy Road D47, direction Le Muy.
In order to enlarge the chapel, the porch was filled in and the octagonal bell tower was added. The actual dates of these transformations are not known.
Fragments of pottery from the II nd, III rd, VII th and VIII th centuries were found during the archaeological search of 1982, on the west side of the chapel. These are on display in the Archaeological Museum on the first floor of the Tourist Office.
Today, Saint Anne’s Chapel is used as an exhibition room for temporary art exhibitions during the months of July and August. Every year, a mass dedicated to Saint Anne is held on July 26th.
Chapel Saint Antoine
Situated on the « Boulevard du Rayol » this Chapel dedicated to St-Antony the hermit, already existed in 1660, having been built on the foundations of an older building.
According to old records this aera was called « The Spa » and would have had 7 springs in the surrounding aera which are used today for watering by local inhabitants.
The Chapel was enlarged in 1677.
Every year on the 24th June, St John’s Day, the feast-day is celebrated, and will continue to be so.
The Parochial Church of St-Antonin
The Parochial Church was built on the present site in 1707.Prior to that date the Church stood where we see to-day’s Town Hall (Mairie).
The old building formerly dedicated to St-Sebastian was built in 1477, by immigrants who came from the Italian diocese of Albenga, encouraged by the Bishop of Fréjus, who was also Lord of BAGNOLS Urbino of Fiesca.
The present day church comprises a single nave, divided into three traverses on pillars which uphold the transverse ribs.The entrance of the Church is through a neo-roman porch of the 19th century. The furnishings of the Church include the following items:
The last supper, the Agony of Gethmany,
The Descent of the crucifix,
The Agony of St-Domnin ( 1st Bishop of Digne in the IV° century, Saint patron of Bagnols), the latter portrait bearing the inscription « HIC EST QUI MULTUM ORA PRO POPULO » – « Here is He who prayed always for the people » , the scene on Easter morning.
- The high altar of the XIX° century in marble.
- An altar-piece in gilded wood and polychrome of the XVII° century dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary.
- The relics of St-Dominin, St Uraban, St Illuminaire, St Felicia and Lactance all placed in a monstrance situated on the right hand side of the nave in a glass reliquary of the XIXth century.
- The baptismal font in which marble dates from the XIXth century, as well as two marble stoups from the XVIIth century.
- A wooden tabernacle in gilded wood dated from the XVIIth century.